Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Fall Harvest Salad

Fall Harvest Salad
*****
 

So this is another creation from our Winder Farms produce box.  This week we got spaghetti squash (which I've never made before), fingerling potatoes (which my husband mocked until he tried them), lettuce, red onion, and some other things we ate much quicker than when I tried this recipe.  The recipe given again had lots of stuff I don't keep on hand and/or am not a fan of, so I tweaked it to come up with this.


The first thing I started with was the squash.  I had to have the hubby cut this sucker in half, it's NOT easy! (Or maybe I'm just a weakling in my current pregnant not able to run or train state.)  Either way it still took the hubs quite a few minutes and 3 knives before he got it open.  I wasn't quite sure what to do since I've never made spaghetti squash and I was wondering if maybe those strings around the seeds were what I was supposed to cook.  After a few google searches I cleared out the seeds and strings, just like when you take the guts out of a pumpkin.
Then I brushed the meat of the squash with olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper.  I lined a baking sheet with foil and popped this into a preheated 450* oven.  I set the timer for 30 minutes and got to work chopping.

I washed and cut the fingerling potatoes in half.  I put them in a bowl and tossed with olive oil and garlic salt and pepper.

Then I chopped the red onion, lettuce and chicken (I used some cooked grilled chicken.)


When the squash timer rang, I took it out and then put those potatoes right on the same baking sheet and back into the oven for another 10-15 minutes.

Once the spaghetti squash is finished use a fork to scrape at it, and it will become stringy like noodles.


Then layer the salad.  I did lettuce, squash, potatoes, chicken, and onions.
I really found that this salad didn't need any dressing.  The squash, seasoned potatoes and onions really gave it plenty of flavor.
I personally did whip up a quick honey mustard vinaigrette, but if you use any dressing, use very sparingly, especially a vinaigrette.
You don't want it to overpower the taste of fall.

(I cooked the whole squash and used a little more than half, if you have a smaller family you can probably get away with only using half.)

**This recipe is gluten free. Verify all your ingredients are gluten free.**
ENJOY!!!

signature

No comments:

Post a Comment