Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

HOOTENANNY (& Gluten-free version)



Hootenanny
*****

I got this recipe from my mom and its a weekly mainstay. I have no idea if I spelled this write, or to be honest what this is even called. This is our version of German pancakes, although I've heard some people say German pancakes are more like crepes. So Hootenanny is an appropriate term since according to Wikipedia, it's definition is something who's name you forgot. Kind of like whatchamacallit? Anyhow, it's a puffy pancake and it's DELICIOUS!

INGREDIENTS:
1 cube butter
6 eggs
1 c. flour
1 c. milk
little vanilla (I use about a capful)
dash salt

DIRECTIONS:
1. Melt butter in 9x13" glass pan while preheating the oven to 400*. (Just melt it, don't burn it)
2. In blender, mix eggs, flour, milk, vanilla and salt.
3. Pour mixture into hot pan with melted butter. (Straight in, DO NOT MIX, the bottom will immediately start to set, this is good, don't mess with it.)
4. Bake at 400* for 15 min.
5. Serve with powdered sugar and maple syrup.



GLUTEN-FREE HOOTENANNY
INGREDIENTS:
1/2 c. butter
3 eggs
1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. gluten free flour (I use an all-purpose blend, you can use plain rice flour and it works, but a blend works better)
little vanilla
dash salt

DIRECTIONS:
1. Melt butter in 8x8" glass pan while preheating the oven to 400*. (Just melt it, don't burn it)
2. In blender, mix eggs, flour, milk, vanilla and salt.
3. Pour mixture into hot pan with melted butter. (Straight in, DO NOT MIX, the bottom will immediately start to set, this is good, don't mess with it.)
4. Bake at 400* for 12 min.
5. Serve with powdered sugar and maple syrup.
** Other than the puffy factor, little is lost in making this gluten free. I've served the gluten free version to my boys and they didn't even notice.**

ENJOY!
signature

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting this gluten free version. My husband has been asking me for weeks if I could figure out how to make Hootenanny GF. All of our friends have been making a gluten version and raving about it so he feels left out. Although he can eat gluten I don't cook it for the family since half of us can't eat it. Can't wait to try this out.

    ReplyDelete