Search This Blog

Friday, September 23, 2011

Curried Chicken Salad

Curried Chicken Salad
*****

Found this Recipe from Pampered Chef's Main Dishes Cookbook, which I just found out is now discontinued.  Sad! Well... good thing you have me!  Made this for Zilch group the other night and it was a HUGE hit.  One of my favorite Chicken Salad recipes.


So the recipe actually calls for light mayo and low-fat yogurt, and you can all follow such directions; however, with my underweight kiddos I pack on the full fat business!  And it's full of other good stuff for you so I don't stress.

I didn't do step by step pics of this one, cause, well, it was basically a whole lot of chopping.  And I was entertaining 12 girls that night so pictures were limited.

Anyway... on to the recipe!

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 c. (light - HA!) mayo
1/2 c. (low-fat again with the HA!) plain yogurt
3/4 tsp. curry powder
1/4 tsp. salt (I don't do salt much I added just a dash)
3 c. diced cooked chicken (I used canned because I was short on time, leftover rotisserie or grilled works great as well)
1 1/2 c. red seedless grapes, cut in half
3/4 c. celery, sliced
1/3 c. green onions with tops, thinly sliced
2 Granny Smith apples (I used something redder.. Jonathan I think, they came in my Bountiful Basket)
** I DIDN'T DO THE REST**
1/3 c. pecans, chopped (I never add the nuts)
1 medium cantaloupe

DIRECTIONS:
1. Blend mayo, yogurt, curry powder and salt; set aside.
2. Dice chicken, cut grapes in half and thinly slice celery and green onions.  Core, slice and peel apples and cut into thin bite size pieces.  (Mine was eighths after the slicing).
3.  Combine chicken, grapes, celery, green onions, apples in large bowl.
4.  Add mayo mixture and mix lightly.
5.  Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hr or overnight.

Pampered Chef says to serve this on slices of cantaloupe.  But I guess I'm a traditionalist with chicken salad and I served on croissants.  (But I did also serve cantaloupe to go with this delicious Fruit Dip! )

(Serve on gluten free or with the cantaloupe and it is Gluten-free!)


ENJOY!!

signature

No comments:

Post a Comment