Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Fresh Tomato Pasta Toss


Fresh Tomato Pasta Toss
****
Found this recipe in the Taste of Home Cooking Book when I had 3 large tomatoes I received from bountiful baskets and needed to use up.
I give this recipe 5 STARS but hubby gives it 4. (Probably because it's lacking in meat!) It reminds me of a bruschetta pasta I've gotten at a restaurant before.

INGREDIENTS:
3 lbs. ripe fresh tomatoes (I used the 3 large, no idea how much they weighed)
1 pkg. (16 oz) uncooked pasta of your choice (I used about 1/2 pkg of thin spaghetti)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp. veg oil
1 Tbsp. minced fresh (OR 1 tsp. dried) parsley
1 Tbsp. minced fresh (OR 1 tsp. dried) basil
2 tsp. minced fresh (OR 3/4 tsp. dried) oregano
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. sugar
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/4 c heavy whipping cream (I put bout 1 Tbsp. melted butter and filled to 1/3 c with whole milk)
1/4 c. shredded parmesan

DIRECTIONS:
1. To remove peels from tomatoes, fill a large saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Place tomatoes, one at a time, in boiling water for 30 seconds. Immediately plunge in ice water. Peel skins with a sharp paring knife (I used my fingers, they slid right off) and discard. Chop pulp; set aside.

2. Cook pasta according to pkg directions. In a large skillet, cook garlic in oil over medium heat until golden. Add the parsley, basil, oregano, salt, sugar, pepper and reserved tomato pulp; mix well. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Add cream; heat through. (I cooked mine a little and let some of the liquid evaporate since I used slightly more liquid.)

3. Drain pasta and transfer to a serving bowl. Pour tomato sauce over pasta and toss to coat. Sprinkle with cheese.

MMMMM! YUMMY! Light and vegetarian, or you could add some cooked chicken for those needing a little more ;)

**It's easy to make this recipe gluten free by subbing regular noodles for gluten free ones! (My daughter's allergic to gluten.)**


signature

No comments:

Post a Comment